Senate President Vicente Sotto III on Saturday expressed hope that more Philippine Health Insurance Corporation (PhilHealth) officials will be charged as he awaits for the full-blown report of the Department of Justice (DOJ) on alleged anomalies at the state health insurance agency.

sotto5 - Sotto hopes DOJ will recommend indictment of more PhilHealth officials 
Sen. Vicente Sotto III (Senate of the Philippines / MANILA BULLETIN FILE PHOTO)

Sotto welcomed Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra’s recent clarification that Health Secretary Francisco Duque III and other PhilHealth officials are not yet off the hook with regards to the alleged irregularities in the state health insurance agency.

Earlier, Sotto slammed Duque’s exclusion in the report submitted by the DOJ-led Task Force PhilHealth to President Duterte concerning its investigation on the mess at the state health insurance where Duque serves as board chairman.

“Eh kasi naman, kaya ko nasabi ‘yong dumbfounded ako at disappointed ako eh kasi ‘di naman niya sinabi agad ‘yon eh. Dapat sinabi niya, ‘Ito ang pauna naming finding… may mga iniibestigahan pa kami na susunod’. Eh ‘di sana ako iimik (I said I was dumbfounded and disappointed because he did not say right away that the findings were preliminary. He should have said, ‘This was our initial findings, we are still investigating further’. I would not have reacted),” the Senate leader explained over radio DWIZ.

“Hintayin natin yung full blown report ng DOJ (Let’s wait for the full-blown report of the DOJ),” he said.

Sotto had led the Senate’s legislative investigation last month on allegations of corruption and anomalies in PhilHealth. The chamber found Duque liable for malversation and graft in relation to the agency’s questionable releases under the Interim Reimbursement Mechanism.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *