By Nick Giongco
A break from his Senate duties will allow Manny Pacquiao to resume his boxing career in July, the Filipino eight-division champion said on Thursday.
Days after signing up with Paradigm Sports Management (PSM), Pacquiao told a couple of scribes that he remains committed to Al Haymon’s Premier Boxing Champions (PBC).
“My contract with Paradigm (Sports Management) is not an exclusive one,” said Pacquiao during the MPBL All-Star festivities at the Mall of Asia Arena.
Signing with PSM was primarily geared to represent the reigning World Boxing Association (WBA) welterweight king in endorsement and sponsorship deals although it will also be tasked to handle his dealings in fights.
As to whether Pacquiao has changed boxing promoters, that doesn’t seem to be the case as Pacquiao is “currently in talks (with PBC) for his next fight tentatively scheduled for July,” said Pacquiao’s right-hand man Sean Gibbons.
“The Senator is with PBC Boxing and very happy how things have gone so far in his career fighting under the PBC banner,” added Gibbons.
Last time he fought, Pacquiao, who turned 41 last December, defeated Keith Thurman in July last year in Las Vegas with PBC, owned and operated by Al Haymon, as lead promoter.
Before the Thurman victory, Pacquiao topped Adrien Broner, his first appearance under the PBC banner.
Pacquiao’s Senate staff said there is a break in May that will last until July and this would give the legendary lefty time to get ready.
It could not yet be determined who will Pacquiao face in his much-awaited comeback although there is a growing clamor for him to lock horns with MMA hotshot Conor McGregor, who also a PSM signee like him.
Aside from McGregor, also on the horizon for Pacquiao are Errol Spence and Danny Garcia, who are PBC talents.