The national government has started distributing emergency cash subsidy under the Bayanihan to Recover as One (Bayanihan 2) Act to low-income households in San Juan City Saturday (Nov. 7).
The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) in coordination with the San Juan City government facilitated the first payout of the Emergency Subsidy Program at Filoil Flying-V Centre.
Mayor Francis Zamora said some 661 household beneficiaries in San Juan affected by the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic were the first in the country to receive the P8,000 cash subsidy from the national government.
“We are very grateful that the DSWD, through the DSWD-NCR, has again chosen our indigent families in San Juan to be the first to benefit from the subsidy program,” Zamora said. “This is a big help to the San Juaneños who are currently facing difficulties due to the COVID-19 pandemic.”
The local government decided to distribute the cash aid at the 1,300-capacity sports and events venue to ensure that physical distancing is observed.
DSWD-NCR Regional Director Vicente Gregorio Tomas warned beneficiaries of emergency cash subsidy against false text messages about the payout which has earlier caused confusion.
Since March, the local government has distributed 14 waves of food packs to families in San Juan City as part of its response to COVID-19 pandemic.
“The measures we have implemented in the city, including the food packs distribution and of course the cash aid from our national government and our own local funds have made huge impacts in our fight against the spread of the pandemic,” Zamora said.
The mayor noted a “huge drop” in the number of active COVID-19 cases in the city, from 640 cases last September 2 to 59 active cases as of November 6.
Zamora said this shows that San Juan is succeeding in its fight against the virus that has so far infected a total of 3,167 people in the city since the start of the pandemic.