GEN. TRIAS CITY, Cavite: Health Secretary Francisco Duque 3rd on Friday led the nationwide launching of the Measles-Rubella and Oral Polio Vaccine Supplemental Immunization Activity (MR OPV SIA) Phase 2 campaign at the newly constructed City Health Center in Barangay Pinagtipunan here.The one-month, second phase vaccination program will commence on Feb. 1, 2021 and end on Feb. 28, 2021,targeting around 380,067 children, aged 0-59 months.

anti polio cavite - Anti-polio campaign launched in Cavite
EASY DOES IT Gen. Trias City Mayor Antonio Ferrer administers the oral polio vaccine to one-yearold Stephanie Marie Solis of Barangay Pinagtipunan, General Trias City, Cavite while Health Secretary Francisco Duque 3rd looks on during the nationwide launching of Measles-Rubella and Oral Polio Vaccine Supplemental Immunization Phase 2 at Barangay Pinagtipunanon on Jan. 29, 2021. PHOTO BY DENNIS ABRINA

The regional office led by Regional Director Eduardo Janairo accompanied Duque and the local government unit (LGU) partner, led by Mayor Antonio Ferrer; Rep. Luis Ferrer 4th of the Sixth District of Cavite, Provincial Administrator Alvin Mojica, representing Gov. Jonvic Remulla; Provincial Director Lionel Dalope of the Department of the Interior and Local Government; Larence Hardy 2nd, USAid Mission Director; Dr. Rabinora Abeyasinghe from the World Health Organization; and Dr. Felices Perez.

Duque demonstrated to 40 nurses and midwives of the vaccination team of the locality together with Gen. Trias City Health Officer Jonathan Luseco how to conduct vaccination on target children including those in far-flung communities and upland villages of the city.

“It will be easier now to vaccinate the children because they are at home and are not allowed to go out because of the pandemic,” Janairo said.

“Additional manpower would be deployed to every municipality and city during the month-long program to ensure that all target children will receive their vaccine shots. To the parents of the children, do not be afraid and have your kids inoculated because the vaccine is safe and the shots will only be the ones that will protect them from measles and polio,” he added.

According to Dr. Luseco, the city health office with the assistance of barangay health workers of 33 villages here is targeting around minimum of 100 kids a day to finish in 28 days the immunization of around 32,100 children of the city.

“Its our honor that you have chosen pur city to be the kick-off point of this program. We all know that over the years measles and polio have always been one of main concerns of the Department of Healt (DoH), despite all the problems we are all encountering because of Covid-19 and now with B117 (UK variant),” Ferrer said.

“We are truly honored, ikinagagalak po naming maging kabahagi ng programa ng DoH na naglalayong labanan ang sakit na patuloy na nagiging banta sa kalusugan ng ating mga kabataan. Kami po ay kaisa ninyo sa hangaring mapanatiling ligtas at malusog ang ating mga mamamayan, ano mang edad at estado sa buhay (We are glad to be part of this program of the DoH that aims to fight this disease that endangers the health of our young people. We are one with you in our wish for the people to be safe and healthy whatever their status in life is),” Mayor Ferrer said in his welcome remarks.

The DoH conducted the MR OPV SIA Phase 1 from October 26 to November 25 last year.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *