The collapsed portion of the Metro Manila Skyway Stage 3 in Pandacan, Manila due to a fire in February this year has already been replaced, the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) announced Wednesday.

viber image 2020 09 16 17 49 35 1024x683 - Collapsed Skyway portion due to fire reconstructed
(photo from DPWH)

“As of latest report, lower and upper coping beams for pier 3, 4, 5 were reconstructed, and deck slab for spans 5 and 6 were completed as well. These were the burned sections from the fire incident,” Public Works and Highways Secretary Mark Villar said.
 
The Skyway Stage 3 is now at 88.72 percent progress, excluding the Section 2A or the Tomas Claudio-PUP Sta. Mesa segment which has yet to begin civil works.
 
“We are intensifying our road right-of-way acquisition so we may soon begin construction at Section 2A. So far, we have acquired 231 out of the 350 lots that need to be acquired with permit to enter,” Villar said.
 
The elevated expressway’s Section 1 covering Buendia-Quirino-Nagtahan is now 90.67 percent completed; Section 2A covering Nagtahan-Tomas Claudio is at 77.23 percent completion; Section 2B or Tomas Claudio-Ramon Magsaysay Avenue is at 94.39 percent progress; Section 3 or Ramon Magsaysay-Quezon Avenue is 96.86 percent; Section 4 or Quezon Avenue-Balintawak, Quezon City is 75.67 percent; and Section 5 or Balintawak to North Luzon Expressway (NLEX) Footbridge is 83.56 percent completed.
 
Once completed, the 18.83-kilometer Skyway Stage 3 is expected to reduce travel time between Buendia to Balintawak from the current two hours to only 15 to 20 minutes, accommodating an average of 55,000 vehicles daily.
 
It will also serve as a direct toll road link between North Luzon Expressway (NLEX) and South Luzon Expressway (SLEX).
 
Part of the elevated expressway collapsed due to the fire that took place at a warehouse of plastic containers in Pandacan, Manila in February.
 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *