Quezon City Mayor Joy Belmonte announced on Monday that there are no more areas in the city under special concern lockdown (SCL) due to the coronavirus disease-2019 (COVID-19) pandemic.
This after the SCL on Alleys 1 and 2 in Block 17, Barangay Bungad were lifted on Friday (November 6). The SCL imposed in some portions of Iba Street in Barangay Paang Bundok and three streets in Zytec Riosa Compound in Barangay Pasong Tamo was also lifted last week.
This is the first time that all lockdowns in the city have been lifted since May 2020.
“This is another positive development in our fight against the virus. This is another indication that we’re headed in the right direction, in addition to the drop in number of our active cases,” Belmonte said.
Dr. Rolly Cruz, Quezon City Epidemiology and Disease Surveillance Unit (CESU) head, said that it is now “unnecessary” to implement SCL because they have not monitored any more clustered cases in the city so far.
“Wala na tayong nakikitang posibleng local o community transmission sa mga lugar na ating binabantayan kaya hindi na kailangan ang SCL sa ngayon (We do not see any possible local or community transmission in the areas we monitor so SCL is not needed as of now),” he said.
In May, the city government placed 20 areas in five barangays under lockdown. Since then, a total of 68 areas with around 11,134 families were placed under SCL.
The CESU conducted 9,020 swab tests in those areas. Of this figure, 1,230 tested positive.
Belmonte reminded residents and barangay officials to continue observing government-issued health protocols, such as physical distancing, washing hands, and wearing face masks and shields, amid the threat of COVID-19.