The Quezon City government stopped the construction of a 40-storey condominium after residents complained about the noise from the construction site, particularly at night.
Mayor Joy Belmonte ordered the city’s Department of Building Official head, lawyer Dale Perral, to issue a stop construction order against DMCI Homes after receiving complaints from residents of Project 4 in Barangay Marilag. The complaints were accompanied by audio and video footage.
“We will issue the stop order today due to their non-compliance with their sworn work schedule,” Perral told Manila Bulletin via Viber message on Wednesday, October 14.
Work at the construction site must be until 6 p.m., but according to one of the complainants, former Barangay Marilag councilor Paul Benjamin Rosario, work at the construction site continues “even up to 10 p.m. almost every day.”
Rosario added, the noise from ongoing construction can be heard by residents living a kilometer away from the site.
“We have become desperate, we needed swift action to our complaints especially at this time when everybody is forced to work and study from home,” he said, noting that they had been lobbying their concerns before the barangay council since the start of the building’s construction a year ago, but to no avail.
Perral said, the construction of the building would be allowed to continue again but “they have to make sure they will satisfy the complainant since allegedly they are working at night.”
DMCI is owned by the Consunji Group, the developer of Torre de Manila that earned public criticism for being a “photobomber” of the historic Rizal monument.