Eight-division world champion Manny Pacquiao eyes an April fight when he defends his World Boxing Association (WBA) welterweight belt.
World Boxing Council and International Boxing Federation champion Errol Spence, Shawn Porter and Danny Garcia are the top candidates as Pacquiao’s next foe.
International matchmaker Sean Gibbons said though that Pacquiao, who just played basketball in Canada for his Maharlika Pilipinas Basketball League, is not in a hurry discussing his next fight.
“Senator (Pacquiao) has no immediate plans to fight anyone,” Gibbons told The Manila Times in online interview. “After he returns to the Philippines in the New Year, we will get down to figuring who to fight. We are hopeful for April.”
Although the undefeated Spence (26-0 win-loss record with 21 knockouts) has just recovered from a car accident injury last year while Danny Garcia (35-2 record with 21 knockouts) will be fighting on January 25 against Ivan Redkach in Brooklyn, the 41-year-old Pacquiao can still possibly fight anyone of them.
“Danny Garcia will be back available if he wins on January 25. The Senator will not fight before April,” said Gibbons, noting the likes of Shawn Porter (30-3-1 with 17 knockouts) and even retired Floyd Mayweather Jr. (50-0 record with 27 knockouts) potential Pacquiao foe.
“It’s a little close depends on the fight out come,” added Gibbons, referring to Danny Garcia’s fight result. “Everyone is possible.”
Former potential Pacquiao opponent Mikey Garcia (39-1 record with 30 knockouts) has already booked a scheduled fight against former Pacquiao opponent Jessie Vargas on February 29 in Frisco, California.
There are some rumors that the 42-year-old Mayweather Jr. will be coming out from retirement and face Pacquiao in a rematch in 2020. Mayweather beat Pacquiao in May 2015 via unanimous decision before deciding to retire that year.
Pacquiao is holding a 62-7-2 record with 39 knockouts after winning over previously unbeaten Keith Thurman by split decision last July 20 in Las Vegas.