By Betheena Unite

Health officials from the World Health Organization and Department of Health opted not to issue a recommendation on whether or not the Philippine boxing team should travel to Wuhan, China for the Asia and Oceania boxing qualifiers in February amid the spread of coronavirus.

070219 DOH meassles 02 dancel copy 640x427 - Olympic qualifier: Can PH boxers go to Wuhan in the midst of virus scare? WHO, DoH officials weigh in

Department of Health Secretary Francisco Duque III gestures during the press conference at the DOH office in Manila, February 7, 2019. Secretary Duque announced the measles out breaks in CALABARZON, NCR, Region 3, Region 6 and Region 7 . (Czar Dancel)

It’s too early to make a recommendation regarding the national team’s trip to Wuhan, where the mysterious virus reportedly originated and has affected over 200 patients as of present, World Health Organization (WHO) country representative Rabinra Abeyasinghe said in a press briefing Tuesday.

Filipino boxers are set to see action in the Asia and Oceania boxing qualifiers for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics in February 3 to 14 in Wuhan. Currently, there is no advisory from the host country on whether or not the qualifiers will push through.

“As I have mentioned to the DOH, the evidence is emerging very fast so February 3 is two weeks away so it may be premature for us to now come up with a recommendation,” Abeyasinghe said

“We have rapidly beginning to understand how to respond and how to handle this but as we mentioned early on, the information is still not complete so let’s wait,” Abeyasinghe added.

On Tuesday, Health Secretary Francisco Duque III bared that they are investigating a suspected case of 2019-novel corona virus (2019-nCov) involving a Chinese boy from Wuhan, China, who arrived into the country last week.

Test are being done to identify which specific virus is present on the samples from the five-year-old child. The test will also determine whether the virus is the 2019-novel corona virus, which have infected more than 200 Chinese patients.

“We have more time. Once we have a clearer understanding and a picture, we could make a decision regarding the travel,” the WHO representative furthered.

The governnmemt has yet to issue a travel advisory on travelers going to China but it has strengthened border surveillance on airports.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *