ILOILO CITY – Iloilo Gov. Arthur Defensor issued Saturday a new executive order prohibiting public gatherings in the 42 towns and component city of Passi as a result of the rising number of COVID-19 cases.
Defensor said that local government units can only allow large public gatherings once they can put mitigating measures against the spread of COVID-19.
Iloilo has 2,308 COVID-19 cases with 23 new infections as of Nov. 6.
Banned by the order are public gatherings such as events and activities of LGUs, commemorative programs, fiestas, conventions, seminars, workshops, general membership meetings, socio-cultural activities, including art exhibits, cultural performances, and sport events.
Also not allowed are receptions or large gathering for birthdays, anniversaries, weddings, baptisms, wakes, or funeral processions. Defensor had earlier said that only immediate family members should be allowed in these events.
However, only small gatherings are allowed or 30 percent of the capacity of the venue. “It is allowed provided that minimum health standards will be implemented,” Defensor said.