World Boxing Association (WBA) welterweight regular champion Manny Pacquiao said he would make WBA welterweight super champion Keith Thurman eat his words when they collide on July 20 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Thurman, 30, said in two news conferences last week that he would retire Pacquiao for good.
But Pacquiao believes that he’s still in peak fighting form at 40. The fighting senator has started his training for the Thurman fight over the weekend at the Elorde gym in Pasay City.
“Maganda ‘yung condition ko at hindi ako nagpabaya sa katawan natin so it’s good, maganda resulta nito. Tingnan na lang natin at ipakain natin lahat ng mga sinabi niya kaya motivated ako sa training camp. Walang prediction basta gawin lang natin lahat ng kaya natin (I’m still in good condition and I’m taking care of my body that’s why I’m expecting good results. Let’s just wait for the fight and I will let him eat his words. I am motivated to train and I have no predictions. We will just do our very best),” Pacquiao told The Manila Times on Saturday at the Elorde gym in Pasay City.
Pacquiao holds a 61-7-2 win-loss-draw record with 39 KOs against Thurman’s 29-0 with 22 KOs.
Pacquiao worked the punching bag, the speed ball, and performed conditioning routines under the supervision of assistant trainers Nonoy Neri and Jon Peñalosa.
Head trainer Buboy Fernandez, now the vice mayor-elect of Polangui, Albay, and conditioning coach Justin Fortune are expected to join Pacquiao’s Manila training camp this week.
Meanwhile, Pacquiao’s legal adviser lawyer Tom Falgui confirmed to The Manila Times on Sunday that Pacman would earn $10 million in his fight against Thurman.
“As far as I know, it’s $10 million. Pumayag si Senator at siya ang may final say (The senator agreed and he has the final say),” said Falgui without elaborating more details.
The post I will let Thurman eat his words – Pacquiao appeared first on The Manila Times Online.