MORE than 2,000 residents have been evacuated in 30 barangay (villages) in three northern Cagayan towns, with a 60-year-old male farmer missing and believed to have drowned during widespread flooding brought about by heavy downpours Maj. Stanley Banan, Sanchez Mira town police chief, said teams conducted rescue operations in flooded areas and for Artemio Bumiltac, who reportedly was trying to save his carabao from his rice field when he was swept by a flash flood on Saturday around 5 p.m. in Barangay Santiago.

a - Flash floods, landslides displace 2,000 residents
UNWANTED VISITOR The provinces of Mindoro Occidental and Mindoro Oriental seemed to have received a battering from Typhoon ‘Quinta’ over the weekend. According to Mario Mulingbayan of the Mindoro Occidental Provincial Disaster Reduction and Risk and Management Office (PDRRMO), they   were  on response mode on Oct. 26, 2020,  clearing debris, uprooted trees and fallen electric posts. He said  they had monitored evacuations in various municipalities of the province, but had not arrived at exact figures yet. In Mindoro Oriental, Vincent Gahol of the PDRRMO said the Bucayao and Panggalaan rivers had overflowed, rendering a bridge and adjacent areas impassable even for heavy vehicles.  PHOTOS FROM PDRRMOs OF MINDORO OCCIDENTAL AND MINDORO ORIENTAL

Banan added that Bumiltac’s carabao had been rescued but its owner has not yet been seen by Santiago residents where more than 100 of them were also evacuated to higher grounds and brought to five evacuation areas in Sanchez Mira.

He said the rescue teams transferred more residents from 14 villages and low-lying areas in the town where houses were already submerged by floodwaters.

Cagayan Gov. Manuel Mamba said the towns of Claveria, Pamplona and Santa Praxedes had been affected by flash floods and landslides, making roads and bridges not passable.

Most of the more the 2,000 evacuees were from 30 villages in Claveria with 1,400 individuals, followed by Santa Praxedes with 850 and the rest from Sanchez Mira and Pamlona towns.

The provincial Task Force Lingkod Cagayan (TFLC) reported that a bridge in Santa Praxedes had been damaged by floodwaters, which submerged parts of the national highway in Claveria, Pamplona and Sanchez Mira.

The task force said Daang Maharlika (national road) in Calvaria going to Santa Praxedes remained not passable as of Monday.

Mamba said the TFLC had teamed up with the Philippine National Police and the Philippine Marine Battalion Lan­ding Team-10 in the rescue operations of residents and livestock in the province.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *