DPWH Leyte20201125 800x279 - DPWH Leyte admits paying P1M for substandard project
RECTIFICATION Photo shows the allegedly substandard project of the Department of Public Works and Highways’ First Leyte Engineering District in Leyte province. The private contractor is now rectifying project defects. Concerned residents had brought their complaints about the project to The Manila Times. PHOTO NESTOR L. ABREMATEA

PALO, Leyte: The First Leyte Engineering District (FLED) of the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) based at Barangay Pawing here has admitted paying a private contractor more than P1 million for an allegedly substandard road reblocking project in disregard of President Rodrigo Duterte’s campaign against supposedly anomalous DPWH infrastructure projects.

Johnny Acosta, district engineer of the DPWH-FLED, admitted accepting from and paying XDR Construction and Supply P1,015,000.41 for the reblocking project along the Kiling (Tanauan,Leyte)-Tabontabon-Julita (Leyte) road section.

Acosta said the project had been turned over with certificate of acceptance given to the private contractor on July 2, 2020, and paid for on Aug. 2, 2020.

But the newly rehabilitated road network has already deteriorated, according to complaints reaching The Manila Times.

Acosta said the contractor is now rectifying project defects under the one-year liability period before the release of final certificate of acceptance under DPWH Department Order 99,Series of 2015.

Ray Mate, an engineer and chief of the Construction Division of the DWPH,declined to comment on the issue and instead pointed to Acosta to explain the allegedly defective project.

This correspondent sought comment from DPWH 8 Regional Director Nerie Bueno but no reply had been received at this writing.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *