By CHEF GENE GONZALEZ
There were all these question marks going around inside my head when I was invited by PETA or the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, an international organization protecting animal rights, to sample and judge these scrumptious desserts, a far cry from my idea of vegan desserts years ago as no more than baby food-like concoctions. There were no more question marks after this tasting. Here are my highlights of this tasting affair.
• Little Green Girl. Lightly spiced crust of buko tart to compensate for buttery flavor of short crusts since this is made of vegetable lard.
• The Apple Pie. It has fresh tasting filling but one does miss the buttery crusts.
• Green Bar. Holy donuts has good glazed donuts.
• Delicielo Moringa Affogato. Brings out the toasty character of moringa with concentrated tea puree. It can stand up to matcha desserts anytime.
• Crème Brûlée Cashew Cheesecake. Soy based and delicious crisp texture
• Cholate. Sinful high fat ice cream almost like a marquise, Morena is made of pure Malagos chocolate. Diet Ako Bukas with its catchy title, is an equally rich chocolate ice cream highlighted by banana and nut.
• Corner Tree Cafe. It is not only gluten free but its chocolate cupcakes are wonderfully intense.
• Aging’s. Fresh roulade of suman and mango, custom made
• Ambassador’s Ice Cream. Horchata ice cream, a toasted rice and nut milk was my best choice among their ice creams; my second was Mango Biscoff, a plant ice cream with natural mango and cookie crumbs
• Jertie’s Kitchen. Dark chocolate gluten free and fruity dark chocolate; truly well-made recipe.
• Coffee Cashew Crumble. Great espresso mid and back flavor aside from the moist banana and nut crunch
• Baking Owl. One of my top three exhibitors was the Lemon Blueberry Cheesecake, one will not miss the cheese on this soy-based dessert with a deliciously pressed cookie crust.
• Chocolate Cherry Bars. They brought out delightful black forest flavors with a good chew and mouth feel.
• Tamis Bakehouse. An ultra-moist caramel apple cake that is worthy enough to be made into a wedding cake
• Cake Smith. Delicious moist prune cake with walnut crunch and date caramel sauce. Would be great ala mode as I went back and got a scoop of vegan ice cream
• Super Scoops. Fabulous ice creams from Coconut milk, smooth fig-y textures. All ice creams from strawberries and cream, coffee cashew crumble, dark chocolate with its fruity, brandy like chocolate character were all world class.
• I’m Vento Box. Had great chewy dark chocolate brownies.
• Antojitos. The Maris peanut butter cups were outstanding since it had Reese’s as its inspiration
• Lost Bread. Good soft serve textures on black cones. I particularly liked their light chocolate with granola
You can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or message me on Instagram