The local government of Quezon City will start the assessment of damages brought by Typhoon “Ulysses” in the city once evacuated residents return home.
Mayor Joy Belmonte told reporters in an interview that the city is already “recovering well” from the onslaught of the typhoon and that it might send off residents back to their homes by Friday, Nov. 13.
“Hopefully by tomorrow ay okay na ang mga tao lahat nakauwi na (everyone would already be back home), and we can start the process of assessing kung ano ba talaga ang naging damage ng bagyong ito (how much damage the typhoon has caused us). And we can begin the process of rebuilding our city again,” she said on Thursday, Nov. 12.
Belmonte added that there is still no casualty reported in the city as of Thursday afternoon. She attributed it to the preparedness of the barangay officials.
“Kasi ang atin pong mga punong barangay, lahat ay naghanda. Lahat sila ay sumunod doon sa ating payo na mag preemptive evacuation. Tapos noong na raise ang Signal No. 3, noong maaga-aga pa kahapon ay nag forced evacuation na tayo, kaya ang tao alam na nila na kailangan nilang lumikas,” Belmonte said.
(Because our barangay officials were prepared. They all followed our advice to conduct preemptive evacuations. Then, when Signal No. 3 was raised, they did a forced evacuation, so residents knew they had to leave their homes.)
“A few” residents chose to stay home, underestimating the strength of the typhoon, Belmonte said. They were the ones who were eventually evacuated by the city’s Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council personnel.
Nearly 10,000 individuals from various low-lying and flood-prone areas in the city had been evacuated by the local government from Wednesday to Thursday.