The number of departing Filipino tourists remains low despite the lifting of departure restrictions allowing them to travel abroad.
Data gathered as of Thursday showed only 95 Filipinos left under a tourist visa, out of the total 1,172 Filipinos who departed.
This is in contrast to the 64 that left during the same day last week when only those with essential reasons for travel can depart.
“The number of travelers remains low and this could mean that Filipinos are hesitant to go abroad during the pandemic,” said BI Commissioner Jaime Morente.
He added that they expect the numbers to pick up during the holiday season.
Morente also stated that arrival restrictions remain in place.
“We are monitoring any policy change set by the Inter-Agency Task Force and the Office of the President, and we are ready to implement these as they may deem fit,” he said.
Currently, only Filipinos, their spouse, and minor children are allowed to enter the country holding tourist visas.
Restrictions likewise allow foreign children with special needs of Filipinos, foreign parent of minor Filipinos, and foreign parent of Filipino children with special needs to enter the country.
Those who are eligible to enter are required to secure an entry visa from Philippine embassies or consulates prior to their arrival.
Accredited foreign government and international organization officials and their dependents, foreign airline crew members, foreign seafarers with 9(c) visas, and foreigners with long-term visas are also allowed to enter the country.