The Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) expressed confidence that allowing most establishments in areas under the general community quarantine (GCQ) to operate at full capacity won’t worsen the country’s COVID-19 situation.
In an interview with DZMM, DTI Secretary Ramon Lopez said there was no reported outbreak of cases from businesses that have been previously allowed to operate at 100 percent like manufacturing companies.
On October 3, the DTI allowed 100 percent operational capacity for “labor-intensive” industries in areas under GCQ.
“Tayo ho ay confident sa gradual reopening na hindi po lalala ang sitwasyon (We are confident that the gradual reopening won’t worsen our situation),” Lopez said.
The DTI secretary also said that allowing 100 percent operation won’t compromise the minimum health standards being imposed in business establishments.
“Kaya ho tayo tumuloy sa pagbubukas dahil malinaw po na talagang susundin ang minimum health protocols natin. Wala hong binabago diyan (The reason why we proceeded with the reopening of businesses is because it’s clear that minimum health protocols should be followed. Nothing has changed),” he said.
Lopez also said another reason for the re-opening is that the government can now “manage” the virus.
“Marunong na tayo kumilos (We already know how to act on the virus),” he said, adding that the health care utilization rate and fatality rate in the country have gone down.
When asked if DTI will readjust the operational capacity of businesses if a spike in cases will be reported, Lopez said: “Pag may ganyang sitwasyon ay pag-aaralan natin mabuti. Hindi naman po automatic (If such a situation arises, we will study it first. We won’t automatically adjust).”