MARANTAO, Lanao del Sur — In just two week, the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) Lanao del Norte 2nd Engineering District (DPWH LNED2) completed the construction of a 60-bed quarantine facility in barangay Mantapoli here.
The turnover, held on October 20, was in response to the Municipal Inter-Agency Task Force’s call to upgrade the capacity of isolation facilities as part of the municipal government’s coronavirus disease (COVID-19) response, said Municipal Health Officer Dra. Miriam Guro.
Marantao town has recorded 79 confirmed COVID-19 cases, with 71 recoveries, and four deaths.
DPWH Assistant District Engineer Maria B. David said the 60-bed capacity project has four toilets and four showers. It was built at a cost of P4 million.
An additional P3-million isolation facility will also be constructed in barangay Sagonsongan in Marawi City.
Mayor Akira Alonto thanked the DPWH and expressed optimism that with the new facility, those who will be infected with the virus will be more willing to submit themselves to be quarantined.
“Mapipilitan talaga sila at saka mukhang willing naman siguro sila kung ganito kaganda itong facility natin,” Alonto said.
Integrated Provincial Health Office (IPHO) chief Dr. Alinader Minalang said Lanao del Sur, which has 879 confirmed cases of COVID-19, has seen an improvement in terms of its numbers.
Out of 879, 109 are active cases and out of 109 – 96 percent are asymptomatic to mild, and 4 percent are severe cases and admitted at Amai Pak-pak Medical Center, Minalang said.
“The good thing is, compared to the number of cases ngayong month of October doon sa nakaraang August and September, we have seen a decrease in the number of new cases. It’s a good sign for all of us,” he said.
He added that admission to hospitals has significantly been reduced. “Last month, almost 100 admissions, ngayon 50 na lang tayo, almost 50 percent ang reduction natin. Number of deaths remains at 35. Last month, 19 in the entire Lanao del Sur, and two this month,” he said.
“Nonetheless, we are not lowering our guards. We are doing our best to address this with the use of interventions of prevention, detection, and isolation,” he said.
He also said that it is possible that the province’s Modified Enhanced Community Quarantine (MECQ) status will be loweřed down to General Community Quarantine (GCQ) or Modified GCQ starting November 1 to restart the local economy.
” I am very confident na ang status natin ngayon nasa MECQ tayo, Inshallah, by November 1 ay maibaba ito sa lower category.. Sana GCQ or even MGCQ considering that our economic activities were affected,” Minalang said.
Lanao del Sur has a total of 850-bed quarantine facility.