Ninety-one percent of the total number of people who tested positive for coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in the Philippines have already recovered, the Department of Health (DOH) said on Sunday, November 8.
The country posted 11,430 new recoveries, raising the total number of survivors to 361,638, the DOH announced in its latest case bulletin.
It also reported 2,442 new confirmed cases, pushing the tally of active cases to 27,218. Counting from last January when the first COVID-19 case was detected, the country’s cumulative tally currently stood at 396,395.
The DOH said that 13 laboratories were not able to submit their case data on time and were not yet included in the latest tally.
Of the active cases, about 82 percent are mild, 9.6 percent are asymptomatic, 5.4 percent are in critical condition, and 3.1 percent are in severe condition.
Majority of the newly announced cases are from Rizal province with 138, City of Manila with 131, Benguet with 130, Batangas with 113, and Bulacan with 112.
The DOH also reported the death of 54 more patients, bringing the death toll to 7,539, which accounts for 1.90 percent of the total number of cases.
Of the newly announced deaths, 39 happened this month, 12 in October, two in September, and one in August.
“Eight duplicates were removed from the total case count. Of these, three were recovered cases. Moreover, five cases previously tagged as recovered were reclassified as deaths,” the DOH noted.
The Philippines ranked 25th among countries with the most number of COVID-19 cases globally, according to the coronavirus dashboard of the World Health Organization.