The Pasig City government has conducted coronavirus testing for residents who have taken shelter at evacuation centers during the onslaught of typhoon “Ulysses” last week.
Mayor Vico Sotto said minimum health standards, including physical distancing, were difficult to maintain at the city’s evacuation sites as thousands of residents fled their homes during the typhoon.
“Since health protocols were difficult to maintain 100 percent of the time, we will test everyone who stayed in the evacuation centers,” Sotto said in a Facebook post Monday.
The recent typhoon has forced around 10,000 residents of Pasig to evacuate amid the ongoing threat of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), as high flood waters due to heavy rainfall submerged some villages in the city.
Sotto lamented that the typhoon has also left around 9,000 households without electricity, forcing the local government to suspend classes in some levels.
The mayor has vowed that the city government will provide assistance to families affected by the flood.
“Pipilitin nating mabigyan ng ayuda ang bawat pamilyang binaha (We will try to provide assistance to every family affected by the flood),” he said.
Meanwhile, Sotto said clearing operations in the city is ongoing, but he noted that cleanup will take some time as several houses were covered in mud due to flooding.
“Nakita natin nitong Bagyong ‘Ulysses’ ang pinaka mataas na lebel ng tubig sa Ilog Marikina mula nung ‘Ondoy,’ mas mataas pa nga, ayon sa ibang report (We saw during typhoon ‘Ulysses’ the highest water level in the Marikina River since ‘Ondoy,’ even higher, according to other reports),” he said.