Oriental Mindoro will “most likely” declare a state of calamity due to the onslaught of Typhoon Quinta, the province’s governor said Monday.
Oriental Mindoro Governor Humerlito “Bonz” Dolor said he already wrote a request to the Provincial Board to declare the entire province under a state of calamity.
“Malaki-laki po yung damage, particularly po in the field of agriculture (We incurred massive damage particularly in the field of agriculture),” Dolor told DZMM.
As of Monday evening, Dolor said a total of 12,000 hectares of agricultural land have been affected by the typhoon in 11 municipalities in Calapan City.
Dolor said the overall assessment for the amount of damage brought by Typhoon Quinta to the province is still ongoing.
The governor said they are having a hard time completing assessment due to power outage in the province.
“We are asking ang aming electric cooperative to fastrack yung checking ng mga power lines para mabalik na po sa lalong madaling panahon, kasi marami din pong poste na tumumba (We are asking our electric cooperative to fasttrack the checking of power lines to restore electricity in the province, since a lot of electric posts were knocked down by the typhoon),” he said.
Dolor said some evacuees have already gone home and only a few remain in the evacuation centers.
A total of 2,113 families in Oriental Mindoro have been affected by Typhoon “Quinta,” according to Dolor.
Typhoon “Quinta” made its fifth landfall in Pola, Oriental Mindoro before leaving the Philippine landmass on Monday.
Dolor had earlier likened Typhoon “Quinta’s” strength to Typhoon “Tisoy” which battered the province in December, 2019.