The City of Manila, Quezon City and Valenzuela City local government units (LGUs) have started the evacuation of residents living in flood-prone areas Saturday evening, ahead of the anticipated heavy to intense rains that Typhoon Rolly is expected to bring over the National Capital Region on Sunday, after it makes its first landfall likely over Catanduanes.
As the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical, and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) raised Signal No. 2 over NCR at around 7 p.m., the LGUs of Manila, Quezon City and Valenzuela had already brought many of their constituents to evacuation centers, particularly those living in low-lying or flood-prone areas.
Valenzuela Mayor Rex Gatchalian, in a Twitter post, said that an elderly man living “in a private property… five meters away from Tullahan River” had asked city officials to take him to the Valenzuela National High School in Barangay Marulas.
“Lolo asked to be moved to the evacuation center ahead of time,” he said, adding that several residents had already started arriving at there.
In Manila, street dwellers were brought to Rasac Shelter in Sta. Cruz, one of the rescue shelters of the city, to ensure their safety.
“Makakaasa po kayong pananatilihin natin ang kaligtasan ng mga kababayan nating homeless at street dwellers ngayong panahon ng kalamidad (Expect that we will ensure the safety of the homeless and the street dwellers during this time of calamity),” Mayor Francisco “Isko Moreno” Domagoso said.
Meanwhile, Quezon City Mayor Joy Belmonte on Saturday night visited the evacuation centers where residents of Apolonio Samson, Bagong Silangan, Doña Imelda, Mariblo, Roxas, Tatalon City had already been settled down for the night.
“Each evacuation area has its own child-friendly space, lactating area and first aid station,” a staff of the Quezon City LGU said.
(photos courtesy of: Mayor Rex Gatchalian, Mayor Isko Moreno and Quezon City LGU)