Government work and public school classes in Metro Manila and seven other regions will be suspended on Friday, November 13, due to the onslaught of Typhoon “Ulysses,” Malacañang announced Thursday.

roque 1 1024x683 - Gov’t work, public school classes in Luzon suspended Friday – Palace
Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque Jr. (YANCY LIM/PRESIDENTIAL PHOTO / MANILA BULLETIN)

The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) recommended the latest work and class suspension in several Luzon provinces, Presidential spokesman Harry Roque said.

“The Palace announces the suspension of work in government offices and classes in public schools at all levels in Regions I, II, III, Calabarzon, Mimaropa, V, Cordillera Administrative Region, and the National Capital Region tomorrow, November 13, 2020, Friday,” Roque said.

Roque said government agencies involved in the delivery of basic and health services, preparedness/response to disasters and calamities, and/or the performance of other vital services will continue with their operations and render the necessary services.

He said the Palace would leave the suspension of work for private companies, offices, and schools to the discretion of their respective heads.

Roque also appealed anew to the public to remain vigilant after the storm brought torrential rains and winds in Metro Manila and other areas.

“We ask the public to continue their regular monitoring of weather advisories and government announcements, try to stay indoors and keep safe and dry,” he said.

The Palace had earlier ordered the work suspension in government offices and public school classes in several areas in Luzon from Wednesday afternoon until Thursday due to the inclement weather. A memorandum circular was issued then by Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea.

The powerful typhoon has dumped heavy rains around Luzon, causing floods and power outage and forcing many residents to take shelter in evacuation centers. Based on the latest report from state weather authorities, Ulysses has slightly weakened as it moved over the West Philippine Sea. 

Earlier, President Duterte addressed the nation and promised swift government assistance in the form of shelter, relief goods, financial aid and post-disaster counseling to typhoon-hit communities. Duterte had to briefly leave the ongoing virtual regional summit to deliver the public address and later conduct an aerial inspection of the calamity areas.

“Rest assured, the government will not leave anybody behind. We will get through this crisis, he said.

Duterte also explained that he wanted to go out and visit the calamity victims but his security team was preventing him. He said he even wanted to “swim” in the floods to be near with the people.

“Anyway, that is the fortune of our lives. We want to be of help. We want to be near and we want to share the grief and we want to share the agony,” he said.

Duterte made the statement after the hashtag #NasaanAngPangulo trended online Thursday morning as the typhoon left a trail of destruction in many areas. At the time, Duterte was attending the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) summit via video conference.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *